Justin DeBoer of JD Builds has hit the ground running with his Maker CNC kit! He writes:
I was originally drawn to Maslow CNC after watching many videos on YouTube about all the different types of CNC machines out there. I was watching a top 5 CNC machine video when I came across the Maslow. I could not believe how big it was for the price I was paying. Within that week I purchased my Maslow kit eagerly awaiting its arrival! I have had experience with CNC before, my High School had a Laser Cutter that I was quite good friends with.
This project was inspired by the large Cubs Marquee that I completed just previously to this project. I first designed the normal cub’s logo using a picture and AutoCad to trace that picture. I cut one out and liked it a lot so I cut a handful more of them out. I then decided to draw up the Cub’s bear version of the sign. This one turned out much better that I first expected!
Here are the steps:
- I first drew up the logos using AutoCad as well as MakerCam to create the g-code file.
- The first plaque used both a ¼ inch bit as well as an 1/8-inch bit for some of the after detailing. The Bear plaque used 1/8 inch and 1/16 inch because of the amount of detail in the bear itself.
- I located where on my sheet I wanted to cut these out (I cut the first two much to high on the sheet which resulted in the top of the circle getting cut a little short. Make sure to keep your projects as centered on the sheet as possible for the most accurate and precise cuts. (I used MDF for this project because of the ease of cutting it).
- Running the cut file is pretty straightforward, just keep an eye on your router and be ready to change the bit when the program asks for it!
- After the cut is run, the project needs to be sanded in a few areas, the background where the bit actually cut, as well as the outer circle if it didn’t cut perfectly smooth.
- This is probably one of the more difficult parts of CNC projects because of the detail and different depths involved.
- I first tried spray-paint, but the outcome was quite horrible.
- I ended up brushing the red, white, and blue paints by hand. It took quite a bit of time, but it turned out good in the end.
- The last step was a clear matte enamel to keep the paint secure and less prone to chip or fade.
- That’s it! I may have made it more complicated than it actually was, but this project turned out to be a very good success!
- Keep projects centered on your 4×8 sheet whenever possible.
- If you are using MDF prime and sand it before painting.
- Make sure to use the correct bits and cut speeds if they are not pre-setup with a project file!
The next project that I will be posting about will be a trilogy of Ford logo signs. I am also making a YouTube video pertaining to the Ford Project!
Justin has generously shared his SVG, DFX, and NC files, you can download them here: Cubs Logo
You can check out Justin’s work at:
Youtube: JD Builds
Instagram: @Signs By J&J